Side x Side Adventure Rally on the Rocks – A New Jamboree
By Lynn Blamires Content Writer for My Local Utah
After ten years of UTV adventures in the rocks of Moab, Rally on the Rocks will not be held in 2022. The political climate there has caused organizers to look for another venue. They look forward to a time when they might be welcomed back.
Rally on the Rocks has been combined with the Side x Side Adventure Rally and this new jamboree is scheduled for May 11 – 13 in Hurricane, Utah. Be prepared to see a different and beautiful setting. UTVs are welcome here and an exciting event has been planned by joining these to rallies.
Side x Side Adventure Rally on the Rocks is a family-friendly event with guided trail rides, primarily rock crawling with some less technical scenic rides in and around Sand Hollow State Park. Fees for this event are $135 per person and include an event T-Shirt, breakfast each morning (continental Wednesday and Friday Camp Chef hot breakfast Thursday), 3 days of guided adventures, and one raffle ticket per person. There is also an option to purchase a dinner ticket for Friday night at $10 apiece. Onsite registrations will be charged an additional $10 per vehicle and camping fees are not included.
One interesting thing about this rally is that Can-Am, Kawasaki, and Yamaha are bringing their 2022 models. They will be available for demo rides on these three days. You don’t have to sign up for the rally to take advantage of this rare opportunity to test drive these machines on real trails instead of dealer parking lots.
The average temperature for this time of year in May at Sand Hollow is a sunny 80 degrees. That is perfect riding weather and Washington County amenities will round out all the ingredients for a great get-a-way.
The rally offers a variety of trails to enjoy from wild to mild and for safety reasons – no ATVs are allowed to participate. Ratings in the Hurricane Sands range from two to nine.
Those trails with easy ratings include the following:
- Dino Tracks – This trail has mostly higher-speed, double-track dirt roads, with washes and sandy, whooped trails. The rating on this trail is one to two. Archeologists report that there are over 400 fossilized tracks in this area.
- Top of the World – Rated three, this loop trail includes a visit to the Flintstone House and a climb to the top of a cliff with amazing views. I have been on this trail and although there is a bit of a challenge, it is a fun and beautiful ride.
The moderate list includes:
- Razzle Dazzle – Rated four, this is a scenic trail that includes some views of Sand Hollow Reservoir, Zion, and Warner Valley and into Arizona. There will be light obstacles in tight washes, some deep-sand travel, and additional rock and dirt climbs.
- West Rim – Two rides are offered on this trail – one is rated four and the other is rated seven. There are some obstacles on the later ride that are avoidable. One section spiked my interest, it is called The Squeeze.
- Milt’s Mile – Rated six, this trail offers some decent climbs and steps throughout. Most stock machines with a 64-inch width, or wider will find this trail doable. It might be hard to remember with all its ups and downs that this trail is only a mile long.
The difficult trails are rated from seven to eight and are, for the most part, not recommended for UTVs that have not been modified. Longer four-seat UTVs with bigger tires will do better than two-seat machines. There are workarounds for many of the more difficult obstacles.
Double Sammy is one of the difficult trails listed. It got its name when two Suzuki Samurais rolled on the trail in the early years of the park. It has been compared to Hell’s Revenge in Moab. I have been on Hell’s Revenge and when I finished that one, I wanted to beat my chest and make animal noises.
I have enjoyed several rides in the Hurricane Sands and there is so much to explore there. The guides are great to work with choosing trails you will enjoy. When you go, take plenty of water, keep the rubber side down, and roller coasters can’t hold a candle to the trails at this rally. Find more information about the rally here.