By Lynn Blamires Content Writer for My Local Utah
I only asked Santa for two things for Christmas – a fat bank account and a skinny body and he messed it up again. If there were items missing from your list, and summer parties right around the corner, why not consider a smoker? Just how much longer do you think your neighbor is going to let you borrow his?
I just visited the BBQ Pit Stop showroom in Layton and that alone made me hungry. Their showroom is loaded with everything you need to become a first-class smoker and griller. They also have stores in Salt Lake, Lehi, and St. George, and Cache Valley is excited about the grand opening of the Logan store later this summer!
First of all, I don’t own a smoker, but the more I write about the BBQ Pit Stop, the more I wonder why. I love to cook so I am running out of excuses.
My neighbor, Don, is a big fan of the BBQ Pit Stop because of the over-the-phone coaching they do to make you look good when you need it. However, while his son has learned the art of smoking beef brisket, Don has not. His favorite meat to smoke is a tri-tip.
So I am learning that the secret words in smoking are “low and slow” with lots of patience and the Pit Stop people are there to help. They can get you started with the right smoker and they are invested in your investment. They carry top brands in smokers, charcoal offset smokers, Kamado grills, grills, and pizza ovens.
Reverse Seared Tomahawk Steak
- 1 Tomahawk Ribeye
- Truebud Steak Seasoning or your favorite Steak Seasoning
- Olive Oil or Duck Fat as Binder
- Trim off any excess fat on the steak. You want to trim off anything that is outstandingly thick (Silver skin/mole skin etc).
- Then apply the oil or duck fat to the steak as a binder
- Start seasoning the Tomahawk with your seasoning coat one side evenly let sit for 10 mins the season other side and do the same.
- Preheat Smoker to 225 degrees and bring to temp.
- Once at temp place Steak in the Smoker probe in middle thickest part.
- Cook until the temp is about 120-125 internal, pull out and wrap in foil to keep heat.
- Pull grates out of smoker then insert the Grill Grates over the open flame.
- Turn the smoker to 400 degrees and heat up grates.
- Once at 400 sear the steak 1-2 mins on one side. Turn 180 and sear again for 1-2, then flip and repeat process.
- Temp and pull at 130-135 for medium rare and let sit for 5-10 mins.
They sell 20 pound packs of different kinds of wood for your smoker – apple, cherry, hickory, oak, and pecan. In wood chunks, the same list is enhanced with alder and peach. They also have Traeger and BBQrs Delight pellets in an amazing array of choices.
The BBQ Pit Stop can say “We have the meats!” They offer beef brisket, turkey and chicken breasts, pork and beef ribs, wagyu beef, and prime rib in season.
They also offer Utah’s largest selection of rubs (over 260) and sauces (over 125) for chicken, turkey, beef, and pork. They will not leave you flailing with all those options. Understanding your tastes, they will suggest choices to get you started. If you are a seasoned smoker, you may have a favorite they carry or you may find a new one that you find “SMOKIN good.”
If you have ever cut meat with a dull knife, you will appreciate the selection of Kai Pro and Shun cutlery the Pit Stop has to offer. These knives hold their edge and make you look good at the carving station.
Share The Love! Share Tweet LinkedIn Email Pinterest This is a great place to get advice on anything and everything smoker! The employees are super helpful and there are so many different seasonings, rubs, and sauces to choose from! You can even taste test the rubs to check them out before you buy. We will…
We love the team here! So knowledgeable, friendly and they always share new ideas to make our smokin’ so much better! Have you ever tried mixing these two sauces together??? Do it!!! You won’t regret it ????
This is one of my favorite stores. Super friendly and knowledgeable staff. Military discount. Just all around great people.
I never knew this was here! I’m so glad to have found it. I’ll definitely be back. Grilling season has just begun. Everyone was so helpful and they even have classes you can take!
Jordan and Parker hooked me up with the perfect Traeger! It was a great experience, the staff was helpful and friendly, I would highly recommend this store.
Let us know in the comment section about your favorite BBQ recipes!